Friday 8 April 2016

A-Z challenge G

G is for granny

Crochet might be thought of as granny-ish by some, but it is in the wind like never before and there are more and more stylish, wonderful and fun designs. Yarn has vastly improved since your granny's time and honestly the good old granny stitch is fashionable.

But let me show you some granny stitches, because granny stitch is 
not just for grannies and it is not just the classic granny square.

This is a granny square, a really big one I made in alpaca.
(yes, it is the one I frogged yesterday)

Here is the granny stripe pattern.

Here is the granny ripple stitch


Grannies are very in style at the moment, the colours you choose help define the project as either retro or modern.

I wanted to show you what you can make with this very versatile stitch.

A good old stash buster granny square blanket.


Granny square baby jacket (no pattern)

Granny square top by Maria valles









Also you can get the granny square as circles or hexagons and with many different designs on the square.




As you can see the granny is delicate, sturdy, classic and versatile and lots of fun!
Which granny style do you like?

3 comments:

Brenna said...

I might need to try making that Maria called granny square too!

susanbruck.com said...

I like them all, but I especially like the flower granny square and the granny square dress. When I was in high school, I made granny square short overalls. I'm not sure what happened to them, but I really liked them. I wouldn't wear them now, but maybe my daughters would.

Vilje Vanilje said...

Brenna: lets have a Cal and make one;)

Susanbruck.com, wow granny square short overalls sound amazing, if you find it I would love to see a picture of that:)