Saturday 2 April 2016

A -Z challenge B



  
 B is for backstitching

Backstitching is used to outline or make definition when you embroider or as I do cross stitch. It is usually done in black, but not always, sometimes the backstitching does not follow the holes in the fabric you use so you have to pierce the fabric and make a small hole with your needle.
Backstitching can be dreadfully boring, just as sewing in yarn ends in crochet or knitting I haven't met a single person who actually likes backstitching, but it does make a cross stitch piece come to life so it is well worth it I think.


 Here is Somebunny to love- Eskimo kiss without backstitch

And here it is with backstitch.

2 comments:

Tami Von Zalez said...

I haven't done any hand needlework in quite awhile. Cross stitch in particular not since I made my kids birth samplers.
Your work is flawless and backstitch certainly does bring the image to life!

Vilje Vanilje said...

Thank you, it was such a hassle to do the back stitching but it was so worth it! i haven't really done much cross stitching for a while either AS I got super caught up in crochet! But I do still love it.